Twas the night before school and all through the house, everyone was sleeping….. or maybe not!
The first day of school (and often the first day back to school), is a mix of excitement and nervousness for your child. But take heart… here comes the Back to School Fairy to help make this milestone wondrous and special!
BACK TO SCHOOL “SCHULTUTE”
Did you know that families in Germany celebrate a child’s first day of school with a “Schultüte”, which is a big cone made from cardboard and filled with an assortment of school supplies and treats. This is given to their child the day before school to make their start of school super special.
What a beautiful tradition !
And …. what a magical gift for the ‘Back to School Fairy’ to leave outside a fairy door !
And then … to build the anticipation and excitement even more, the Back to School Fairy could leave some little notes a few days before giving hints of the special gift which is to come and to encourage about how wonderful their first day of school will be.
HOW TO MAKE A Schultüte
A Schultüte (also known as a Kinder Cone or School Cone), is quick and easy to make from a sheet of project cardboard. It can be as big or small as you like and can be plain or decorated … (OR …of course, a brown paper bag filled with school supplies could also be used to the same effect).
- 1 Sheet of coloured project cardboard (from a Newsagent)
- 1 sheet of coloured tissue paper
- Glue / Sticky tape / Scissors
- School Supplies
- Take one sheet of coloured project cardboard
2. Roll it into a cone shape and stick the edge to seal it shut.
3. Cut the point off the top to make it round
4. Take the tissue paper and fold it in half. Then glue it around the top of the cone
5. Fill the cardboard cone with an assortment of school supplies (see below for more ideas)
6. Gather the tissue paper at the top and tie with a pretty ribbon to close
Your Back to School Fairy Schultüte can be as plain or elaborate as you like.
Here are some ideas …..